Are you ready to embark on a basic Python programming tutorial? In just 5 minutes, you can start your journey towards learning the fundamentals of Python. This article will guide you through the essential steps to kickstart your Python programming skills.
Step 1: Set up Python
To get started, you’ll need to have Python installed on your computer. Follow these steps:
- Visit the official Python website (https://www.python.org) and download the latest version of Python compatible with your operating system.
- Run the installer and follow the instructions to install Python.
- Once the installation is complete, open a command prompt or terminal and type
python --versionto verify that Python is installed correctly.
Step 2: Create the Python Script
- Open a text editor or an integrated development environment (IDE) such as PyCharm, Visual Studio Code, or IDLE.
- Create a new file and save it with a
.pyextension. For example,
- In the file, write the following code:
Step 3: Run the Python Script
- Open a command prompt or terminal.
- Navigate to the directory where you saved the
hello.pyfile using the
python hello.pyand press Enter.
- You should see the output
Hello, World!displayed in the terminal.
In Python, the
print() function is used to display output on the console. In our “Hello, World!” program, we use the
print() function to print the string
"Hello, World!". The string is enclosed in double quotes to indicate that it is a sequence of characters.
When you run the Python script using the
python command, the interpreter reads the code and executes it. In this case, it prints the specified string to the console.
The “Hello, World!” program is a simple introductory program that serves as a starting point for learning a new programming language. It confirms that your environment is set up correctly and allows you to test the basic functionality of the programming language.
You can modify the
"Hello, World!" string or add more code to perform other tasks within the Python script. This serves as a foundation for building more complex programs as you delve further into Python development.
Congratulations! You have successfully created and executed a “Hello, World!” project in Python. Now you can proceed to explore more Python concepts and start building more advanced applications.